Yes, but there are some drawbacks
Table of Contents Table of Contents
Can you play normal PS5 games with PSVR 2? We’re answering this, and many other queries in the run-up to the PSVR 2 release date, so you can be sure that it’s the right VR headset for you.
NOW READ: PSVR 2 Review: Captivating, comfortable, costly.
As it’s been a good 7 years since the original PSVR hit the shelves, Sony has had a lot of time to design, develop, and engineer the PSVR 2, meaning that there are a lot of questions surrounding the new iteration of Sony’s VR technology.
We’ve already been pretty busy, answering burning questions such as Can you wear over ear headphones with the PSVR 2, Whether or not you can move, and what the see through mode does.
We’ve also done a full unboxing article with a video, so you can get a preview of the fun that awaits you if you decide to pre order a PSVR 2. That being said, today we’re going to see if you can play normal PS5 games with PSVR 2.
Can you play normal PS5 games with PSVR 2?
Yes, yes you can. However, it’s important to note here that playing regular PS5 games via the PSVR 2 does not automatically turn them into VR games with motion controls and all that jazz.
However, it does give you the opportunity to use what Sony calls cinematic mode. This was present in the original PSVR, but the improved hardware of the PS5 and PSVR 2 means that it’s a more refined experience this time. Essentially, the PSVR 2 will provide you with your own personal virtual cinema. How does that work?
PSVR 2 Cinematic Mode
the PSVR 2 cinematic mode allows you to play normal PS5 games via the headset itself. When you put the headset on, you are positioned in a black void, with a screen floating in front of you. This virtual screen is the same shape as a normal TV, however, its apparent size is vast, filling up almost the entire FoV of the PSVR 2. If the previous PSVR is anything to go by, this screen will have an apparent size of over 200 inches, though it is understandably tricky to measure something non-physical.
It’s hard to describe its actual size as it’s intangible, but it’ll be well worth checking out, but, there are some limitations, with Sony’s FAQ page stating that “Content in Cinematic Mode will be displayed in 1920×1080 HDR video format with 24/60Hz and also 120Hz frame rate”.
So, if you’ve already got one of the best 4K TVs, using the PSVR 2 cinematic mode will result in a significant downgrade in fidelity, huge size increase notwithstanding. It’s worth noting here that you can also use cinematic mode to consume any normal content too, meaning you can have your own private screening of anything from Amazon Prime Video or Disney+, for example. Though we have doubts that wearing a VR headset, no matter how comfortable, will be enjoyable for the length of a movie.
PSVR 2 FAQs!
If you’re eager to know everything about the PSVR 2, you’re in luck, as we’ve written a lot of pages about the PSVR 2. For your convenience, we’ve listed it all below!
- Best Games for PSVR 2: What to look forward to!
- Does PSVR 2 Support HDR?
- Are the PSVR 2 controllers compatible with PS4?
- Can I Use PSVR Controllers on PSVR 2?
- Do I need a TV to use PSVR 2?
- Is PSVR 2 Multiplayer?
- PSVR 2 head size – Everything you need to know
- Does PSVR 2 work with PS4? No, and here’s why
- How to connect PSVR 2 to PS5: Quick PSVR 2 setup guide
- How to change PSVR 2 viewing modes?
- Where to buy PSVR 2 & pre order details (All regions)
- How To Sync PSVR 2 Sense Controller?
- How to turn the PSVR2 Sense controller on and off?
- Is The PS Move Controller compatible with PSVR 2?
- Is the DualSense Edge controller compatible with PSVR 2?
- Can you play normal PS5 games with PSVR 2? Cinematic mode explained
- Can you wear over ear headphones with the PSVR 2?
- Can you move while wearing the PSVR 2 headset?
- Does PSVR 2 track eye motion? Yes, but not in the creepy way
- What is PSVR 2 see through mode and how does it work?
- What size room do you need for PSVR 2?
- Can you wear glasses with PSVR 2?
- Vive XR Elite vs PSVR 2: Can console VR compete in 2023?
- Meta Quest Pro vs PSVR 2: Which is the best next-gen VR headset?