The PS5 user interface is well-known for its cleanliness and simplicity. However, there are still some features that may not be immediately intuitive. One such feature is closing down games and applications. This guide will show you how to close games or applications on PS5, ensuring that nothing is running in the background.
In many cases, the console will automatically close games and apps for you. This happens when you use the Switcher function to switch to a different game, launch a different game from the home screen, or turn off your PS5. So, most of the time, you won’t need to do anything, as the PS5 will clean up after you.
If you want to ensure that everything is properly shut down, follow these steps:
- While in your game or app, press and hold the PS button to arrive at the home screen.
- Highlight the active game or app and press the Options button on your DualSense controller.
- A sub-menu will appear, and you simply choose the option that says Close Game.
By following these steps, you can manually close games or applications on your PS5, ensuring that everything is shut down completely.
Dealing with Frozen Games or Apps
Sometimes, your PS5 may freeze, preventing you from closing games or apps as you normally would. In this scenario, a simple restart of the console may solve the problem. Press and hold the power button until the PS5 system beeps twice to turn it off. This may take a while, so be patient. Once it’s turned off, you can restart your console.
If the freezing issue persists, you may need to take more drastic measures. If it’s happening with only one game, try deleting and reinstalling that specific game:
- On your PS5, navigate to the game on the Game home screen.
- Press the Options button and select Delete.
- Reinstall the game and see if the issue is resolved.
If the freezing issue is happening with multiple games, Sony recommends rebuilding the PS5 database:
- Turn off the PS5 system by pressing the power button until it beeps twice.
- Press and hold the power button for at least seven seconds, then release it after the second beep.
- Connect a DualSense wireless controller via a USB cable and press the PS button on the controller.
- Your system will enter Safe Mode.
- Once in Safe Mode, select option 5: “Rebuild Database”.
Please note that rebuilding the database may take a significant amount of time, depending on the type and number of data items on your console.
If you’ve tried all of the above steps and the problem persists, it may be necessary to contact Sony for further assistance. They may arrange for your console to be repaired or replaced under warranty. To learn more about PS5 warranty, visit Capturing Fantasy.
Closing games and applications on PS5 is a straightforward process, and by following these steps, you can ensure that everything is properly shut down or resolve any freezing issues you may encounter. Enjoy your gaming experience on the PS5!