If you’ve ever encountered the frustration of being unable to purchase a game on Steam, you’re not alone. Many users have experienced issues where their transactions get stuck or they receive failed purchase error messages. But fear not! In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore various solutions to help you resolve these purchasing issues on Steam.
Understanding the Problem
Some common error messages you might encounter include:
- “An unexpected error has occurred. Your purchase has not been completed. Please contact Steam Support.”
- “Your transaction cannot be completed because you have another pending transaction on your account.”
Now, let’s look at the possible reasons behind these failed purchases and how you can fix them.
Retry Your Purchase
First and foremost, try retrying your purchase. Sometimes, temporary issues or glitches can cause transactions to fail. Make sure your billing information is correct and try purchasing the game again. If the problem persists, don’t worry, we have other potential fixes for you.
Before diving into advanced troubleshooting methods, start by restarting your Steam client. Sometimes, a quick restart can resolve temporary errors or launch issues. Close the app completely by opening Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc), selecting Steam and related processes, and ending them one by one. Then, relaunch the Steam app and try making your game purchase again. Hopefully, this simple solution will solve the issue. If not, let’s move on to the next potential fix.
Check the Server Status of Steam
It’s worth checking the server status of Steam to ensure that the servers responsible for game purchases and downloads are functioning properly. Technical issues such as server outrage or maintenance work can sometimes cause purchase problems. Use server-status detector tools or check Steam’s official social media pages for updates on server status. If there is a known server issue, you may need to wait for it to be resolved. In the meantime, try making a game purchase every few minutes to see if the issue has been resolved. If the servers are up and running but you still experience problems, let’s move on to the next potential solution.
Ensure a Stable Internet Connection
Unstable or weak internet connections can interfere with online purchases, causing them to fail or get stuck. To determine if your internet connection is the culprit, run an internet speed test to ensure your connection is stable. If your internet speed is good and the problem persists, consider the following troubleshooting steps:
- Check for WiFi issues on your PC and troubleshoot them if necessary.
- Update your network driver to the latest version if it’s outdated.
- Perform a power cycle on your router by unplugging its power cord, waiting for a minute, and then plugging it back in.
If your internet connection is solid and you’re still unable to purchase games on Steam, let’s explore other potential causes.
Verify Payment Details
Incorrect payment details can often lead to failed transactions. Double-check the payment method you’ve used and ensure the entered card details are accurate. If necessary, follow these steps to re-add or modify your payment method through the Steam website:
- Open a web browser and navigate to the official Steam website or open your Steam desktop app.
- Enter your account credentials and sign in.
- Go to your Profile and click on the Account Details option.
- Look for your current payment method under the Store & Purchase History section and click on Edit to check and modify the details.
- If you want to delete the current payment method and add a new one, click the Delete button.
- Finally, go to the Steam Store and add your payment method. Try making a purchase again to see if the problem is resolved.
If you’re still facing issues, let’s move on to the next potential fix.
Disable VPN Software or Proxy
Steam’s official support team advises that you disable any IP proxy or VPN software you may be using. All transactions initiated through anonymous proxies will be declined by Steam, so it’s essential to disable or completely remove such software. Try disabling your VPN software and retry your purchase on Steam. If that doesn’t help, consider uninstalling the software and rebooting your PC. To disable the proxy on your PC, follow these steps:
- Press Win + I to open the Settings app.
- Navigate to the Network & Internet tab and click on the Proxy option.
- Turn off the proxy server settings.
If you don’t use a VPN or proxy, proceed to the next potential solution.
Cancel Pending Transactions
If your purchases are failing due to pending transactions, try canceling them to see if that resolves the issue. Follow these steps:
- Open your Steam app and sign in with your login credentials.
- Tap on your Profile name and select the Account Details option.
- Under the Store & Purchase History section, click the View purchase history option.
- Select a pending purchase on your account and click the Cancel this transaction option.
- Press Cancel my purchase and go back to the Steam Store to check if you can now make purchases without issues.
If the problem persists, let’s move on to the next potential fix.
Use a Web Browser for Purchasing
If you’re experiencing purchase issues on the Steam desktop app, try purchasing the game through the Steam website instead. Occasionally, the desktop app may have certain issues that cause purchases to fail. Likewise, if you encounter problems on the Steam website, try using the desktop app instead. Here’s how:
- Open Steam’s official website in a web browser and log in with your account details.
- Find the game you want to purchase and click the Add to Cart button.
- Select the Purchase for Myself button and follow the instructions to complete your transaction.
Hopefully, one of these methods will work for you.
Contact Steam Support
If all else fails, it’s time to reach out to the official Steam support team. Explain the purchase issue you’re facing and provide all the necessary details. Visit the Support page on Steam, navigate to Purchases, select the appropriate issue category, and sign in with your account credentials. The support team will assist you in resolving the problem.
In conclusion, we’ve covered various troubleshooting steps to help you resolve purchasing issues on Steam. By following these solutions, you’ll be able to purchase your favorite games hassle-free. Happy gaming! 😊